Awards and Recognition
- Public Relations Society of America California Capital Chapter Influence Award (2014)
The Regional Water Authority (RWA) Water Efficiency Program includes two dozen water providers in Sacramento, Placer, El Dorado and Yolo counties that combine their limited resources to promote water efficiency.
The year 2013 marked the fourth year of the award-wining Blue Thumb program, which showed residents how to use water efficiently outdoors. Asked to spotlight the need to tune up, check and repair sprinklers, our team created the “Do the Sprinkler” campaign and adopted the Sprinkler Dance as a fun, interactive way to get the public involved.
The Sprinkler Dance originated in the 1970s and perfectly related to our target audience: homeowners over 50 years old. The dance was our celebratory movement, akin to scoring a touchdown in a big game, performed after pledging to tune up , check and fix their sprinklers and was featured throughout program materials.
Program highlights included:
- Television and radio advertising.
- Instructional “how to” videos and check lists for tuning up and checking sprinklers.
- Creative “mash up” videos featuring local residents celebrating efficient sprinklers with the Sprinkler Dance.
- Pledge for adults and pledge banner for kids.
- Facebook advertising and posts.
- Partnerships with the Sacramento Kings and Sacramento River Cats.
- Blue Thumb Events team.
- Tool kit for water providers with key messages and template text for newsletters and social media.
- Collateral, including a sprinkler tune up tool and garden knee pad.
- Original “Do the Sprinkler” theme song.
Created with partners MediaLine Communications, Lower Sierra Consulting Services and Magma Creative.