Awards and Recognition
- Sacramento Public Relations Association Gold (2011)
- International Association of Business Communicators ( Sacramento) Crystal (2011)
- California Association of Public Information Officials Award of Distinction (2011)
- Graphic Design USA Magazine Award
- Featured in the California Urban Water Conservation Council Public Information BMP Implementation Guidebook
The Regional Water Authority (RWA) Water Efficiency Program includes two dozen water providers in Sacramento, Placer, El Dorado and Yolo counties that combine their limited resources to promote water efficiency. In 2010, RWA launched a new multi-year social marketing program aimed at helping residential water customers 1) understand the need to use water efficiently in the landscape and 2) undertake key water-efficient behaviors most likely to reduce outdoor water use.
While most people have heard of a “Green Thumb,” which describes someone with a skill for gardening, the campaign showcased people who earned their “Blue Thumb” by making a personal commitment to using water wisely outdoors.
- Statistically valid pre- and post-campaign telephone surveys.
- Television ad/public service announcement starring Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, Meteorologist Elissa Lynn and Dinger of the Sacramento River Cats.
- Collateral materials such as iconic Blue Thumb garden gloves that were both a cool prize for taking a pledge to save water and reminder to use water wisely every time Blue Thumbers got into the garden.
- Blue Thumb blog written by sustainable landscaping experts/media spokespeople.
- Partnerships with 16 Home Depot and seven Lowe’s stores.
- Partnership with the Sacramento River Cats.
- New Blue Thumb Web site.
Created with partners MediaLine Communications, FRAUSE and Magma Creative.